Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found on an English Grandma's Kitchen recipe card. To make a rich mocha pudding, add 1-1 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder to sugar mixture before adding milk.
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 40 g cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornflour or 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 450 ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sliced bananas or mandarin orange segments, to serve
- Combine the sugar, cocoa and cornflour/cornmeal in a saucepan and whisk in the milk.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture boils.
- Boil for 1 minute, still stirring constantly. Then remove pan from heat.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and whisk about 125ml/4fl oz of the hot milk mixture into the egg. Then whisk the egg mixture into the rest of the hot milk.
- Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring mixture constantly.
- Remove from the heat anf stir in the vanilla essence and butter.
- Pudding is now ready to be poured into (4 individual) serving dishes and placed in fridge to chill. Decorate with fruit slices.
This is gorgeous: rich, glossy and very chocolatey. It was a bit scary to make, it seemed to get really thick very suddenly, I might have cooked it too long but it worked really well. Orange zest is great too instead of the mocha variation.