Recipe by SEvans
This is an autumn must. This soup is rich in flavour and aroma. This recipe is for 2 people but can easily be increased to suit your needs.
Top Review by yamakarasu
Wonderful! I substituted milk for the cream, and I ran out of curry powder so I wasn't able to add that. I'll have to pick some up so I can make this again :) It was still great! I added a lot of pepper though so it was a lot more spicy/savoury than sweet from the pumpkin, but I really enjoyed it this way. Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomatoes with juice (preferably canned)
- 1⁄2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 -14 ounce) can pumpkin puree (small can)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon curry powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Sauté your onions and cabbage with a pinch of salt to "sweat" the vegetables. You don't want to brown the vegetables - just cook them until they are soft and onions are opaque - approximately 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, black beans and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low to simmer for 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in cream, curry, cumin, cayenne and salt to taste. Simmer an additional 10 minutes and serve.