Recipe by Carolyn Jay
I think the secret is in the warm milk. This is butter free and only 1 gram of fat yet still smooth and fluffy. If garlic isn't to your taste, replace it with a quarter of a teaspoon of nutmeg for a spicy flavor or the finely grated rind from half a lemon for a citrusy tang.
Top Review by Merlot
The name says it all. These potatoes ARE very velvety and creamy. I think the chicken stock is what gives the potatoes their outstanding flavor and, of course, the garlic puts them over the top. Great recipe, CarolynJ.
- 1 kg baking potato
- 1 chicken stock or 1 bouillon cube
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 50 ml low-fat milk, warmed (microwave okay)
- 300 ml boiling water
- 300 ml cold water
- 4 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into even sized pieces.
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan. Crumble the stock cube into a measuring jug and pour in boiling water, stirring until the crumbled cube has dissolved completely.
- Add cold water to the jug and pour the stock over the potatoes, adding more cold water if necessary, so the potatoes are completely covered. Bring to the boil and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes, reserving about 3tbsp of the cooking liquid. Return the potatoes to the saucepan over a low heat and add the reserved liquid, garlic and warmed milk. Mash well with a potato masher until the potatoes are smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in the green onions and black pepper until evenly mixed in and serve hot.