Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Mmmm! This pepper steak recipe is unique in that it uses a tenderizing technique that makes a *big* difference in the texture of the meat. Wonderfully velvety, this dish is absolutely delicious! :) (Make sure to rinse the meat thoroughly after tenderizing.)
- 1 lb beef (boned top round steak, or whatever cut you like)
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup room temperature water
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, sliced thin or diced,your preference
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips or chunks,your preference
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese, to taste
- Trim fat from beef.
- Slice very thinly across the grain into strips and place in ceramic or glass bowl.
- Mix together the baking soda and 1/4 cup water, then pour it over the beef.
- Stir well and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove the sliced beef from the bowl and rinse it thoroughly under running cold water in a colander (this is a very important step! make sure to rinse it really well); let drain.
- Combine the mustard, black pepper, garlic, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add drained beef, tossing to coat.
- Heat olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef mixture, saute 4 minutes or until done; remove the meat from the pan, keeping warm.
- Add remaining Tbsp of butter, mushrooms, onions, and bell pepper to pan, and saute 3 to 4 minutes to slightly brown; add water, cover and cook about 5 minutes to preferred doneness.
- Add the cooked meat back into the pan and stir in vinegar; remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Serve with rice or noodles. For a nice variation on this recipe, try using other cheeses: grated smoked Gouda, gorgonzola, etc.
We really enjoyed the flavours in this dish. I used 3 pieces of beef schnitzel. The marinading in the baking soda gave the meat a lovely smooth texture and was really tender. My husband isnt fond of feta cheese but he cleaned his plate not even knowing it was there! Thanks for posting.
I found this recipe quite bland and the texture was way too slimy for my taste. I will not make it again.