Recipe by Canadian Jane
An old-fashioned chocolate pie made with cornstarch and cocoa. From Hershey's Chocolate and Cocoa Cookbook.
Top Review by swissms
We have been making this recipe for over 30 years. The only difference is that the Hershey recipe I have calls for 1/2 c. cocoa. While not a sophisticated dessert, this is my all-time favorite pie since childhood. The filling can also be eaten as a delicious chocolate pudding.
- 1 pastry shells, 9-inch baked
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- whipped cream or dessert topping
- chocolate curls (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cocoa, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Blend in milk until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Blend in butter and vanilla. Pour into pie shell. Carefully press plastic wrap directly onto pie filling. Chill 3 to 4 hours. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or topping and chocolate curls, if desired.
- Note: Cook time is cooling time. You can also use a cooled crumb crust for shell.