Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Hershey's Kitchens.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked and cooled
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- whipped topping
- additional semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Stir together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan.
- Combine eggs and milk; gradually stir into sugar mixture, blending well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, just until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Off heat, add chocolate chips, butter and vanilla. Stir until chips and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into prepared crust.
- Immediately press plastic wrap onto pie surface.
- Refrigerate three to four hours or until firm.
- Garnish with whipped topping and chocolate chips.
Unfortunately, this was really horrible. It wasn't anywhere near velvety - on the contrary, the texture was grainy and lumpy, and the flavor was just so-so. I had to toss the whole thing.
My family really enjoyed this pie. It's creamy and delicious. Like a thick pudding in a pie shell. I will definitely make this one again. Might even try it topped with a meringue next time??? Thanks!