Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This smooth and creamy cheese soup tastes so good in cooler weather, and served with a crusty loaf of bread.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup Velveeta cheese
- 2 cups vegetables, cut up
- Melt the butter in the saucepan over medium high heat.
- Saute the onion in the butter until the onion is clear.
- Remove from heat, and add the flour, milk and salt.
- Return to the heat, and cook until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the vegetable pieces and simmer approximately 30 minutes.
- You can use whatever vegetables you or your family likes. They can be fresh or frozen. Broccoli holds up very nicely. Tomatoes taste good as well.
- The salt is to your taste, use more or less depending on the saltiness of the butter or cheese.