Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
2012 Domaine de Canton recipe contest winner JENNIFER MCNABB
Make and share this Velvet Sweet Potato and Carrot Bisque recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 cup Canton ginger and cognac liqueur (Domaine de Canton)
- 1 tablespoon Canton ginger and cognac liqueur (Domaine de Canton)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cups chicken or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- Melt butter over medium heat in stockpot or Dutch oven. Add onion and shallots; cook for 3 minutes being careful to not brown. Add sweet potatoes and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Lower heat and cover the pot so vegetables can soften, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Uncover and add Domaine de Canton and ginger. Turn heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes to thoroughly combine liqueur and ginger with the vegetables. Add the chicken or vegetable stock and enough water to just cover the top of the vegetables. Bring bisque to a boil, lower a simmer and cover. Let soup simmer for at least another 10-15 minutes, until carrots and sweet potatoes are completely cooked through. Add cream, salt and white pepper.
- 3. Blend bisque very well with an immersion blender or traditional counter blender. It may be necessary to add a bit more water for ease of blender. If so, add ¼ Celsius at a time. If using a traditional blender, blend in batches and do not fill blender to the top each time. Transfer the bisque back into the pot.
- 4. Add 1 T. Domaine de Canton to bisque. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Garnish and serve to happy guests!