Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
2012 Domaine de Canton recipe contest winner JENNIFER MCNABB
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 cup Canton ginger and cognac liqueur (Domaine de Canton)
- 1 tablespoon Canton ginger and cognac liqueur (Domaine de Canton)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cups chicken or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- Melt butter over medium heat in stockpot or Dutch oven. Add onion and shallots; cook for 3 minutes being careful to not brown. Add sweet potatoes and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Lower heat and cover the pot so vegetables can soften, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Uncover and add Domaine de Canton and ginger. Turn heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes to thoroughly combine liqueur and ginger with the vegetables. Add the chicken or vegetable stock and enough water to just cover the top of the vegetables. Bring bisque to a boil, lower a simmer and cover. Let soup simmer for at least another 10-15 minutes, until carrots and sweet potatoes are completely cooked through. Add cream, salt and white pepper.
- 3. Blend bisque very well with an immersion blender or traditional counter blender. It may be necessary to add a bit more water for ease of blender. If so, add ¼ Celsius at a time. If using a traditional blender, blend in batches and do not fill blender to the top each time. Transfer the bisque back into the pot.
- 4. Add 1 T. Domaine de Canton to bisque. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Garnish and serve to happy guests!