Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
East meets West in this recipe from Martin Yan's Invitation to Chinese Cooking.
- 12 ounces medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup whole cashews
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp, cornstarch, and salt; sit to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Place a pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add 3 tablespoons of the oil, swirling to coat the sides. Add teh sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add the five-spice powder and mix well. Add the walnuts and turn to coat with the oil and sugar. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. With a fork, separate the nuts and let them cool.
- Place a wok or wide frying pan over high heat until hot. Add the remaining oil, swirling to coat the sides. Add the shrimp and stir-fry until they turn pink, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove the wok from the heat. Add the sauce and toss to coat. Place the shrimp on a serving platter and sprinkle with the nuts.