Recipe by shadowgirl...
Found this recipe in BHG magazine. I did change it a little just for ease. This recipe is a wonderful change to plain mashed potatoes. Very, very tasty.
- 1 head garlic (roasted)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk (heated)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil (drained & chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme (chopped)
- 12 ounces mushroom gravy (add amount to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- To roast garlic, slice bottom & place in aluminum foil with a little olive oil. (don't skip this step).
- Clean & prick potatoes & put in oven with garlic.
- Cook 35 minutes. Remove garlic. Continue to cook potatoes 20 minutes or until tender.
- Hold hot potatoes with towel & split & scrape flesh into sauce pan.
- Squeeze roasted garlic from the bottom to push cloves out & into potatoes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter, sour cream & cream cheese. Mash. Season with salt & black pepper.
- In large frying pan add 3 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms & cook until browned. (4 minutes) Add shallot, thyme & dried tomatoes. (make sure you do not burn shallot).
- Add mushroom gravy to pan & heat.
- Gradually stir hot milk into potatoes until fluffy.
- Transfer to bowl & pour gravy mixture on top.