Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Found this recipe in BHG magazine. I did change it a little just for ease. This recipe is a wonderful change to plain mashed potatoes. Very, very tasty.
- 1 head garlic (roasted)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk (heated)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil (drained & chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme (chopped)
- 12 ounces mushroom gravy (add amount to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- To roast garlic, slice bottom & place in aluminum foil with a little olive oil. (don't skip this step).
- Clean & prick potatoes & put in oven with garlic.
- Cook 35 minutes. Remove garlic. Continue to cook potatoes 20 minutes or until tender.
- Hold hot potatoes with towel & split & scrape flesh into sauce pan.
- Squeeze roasted garlic from the bottom to push cloves out & into potatoes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter, sour cream & cream cheese. Mash. Season with salt & black pepper.
- In large frying pan add 3 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms & cook until browned. (4 minutes) Add shallot, thyme & dried tomatoes. (make sure you do not burn shallot).
- Add mushroom gravy to pan & heat.
- Gradually stir hot milk into potatoes until fluffy.
- Transfer to bowl & pour gravy mixture on top.
Comfort food at its best! Love the roasted garlic. Served with SydneyMike's Oven Fried Pork Chops. Thanks for post, shadow.
No changes in the recipe except used dry thyme. This was delish. Don't leave out the roasted garlic or change it to chopped garlic(jar). I used a can of Campbells' Mushroom Gravy! I would double the gravy next time. Despite the unique combination of ingredients, this was a great. Try it! PAC Fall 2009.
These are wonderful. I also found this recipe in BHG and came to post for safe keeping. I will post the mushroom sauce that BHG suggested to serve with them as it was a great addition. Thanks for posting a great recipe.