1/1 Photo of Velvet Mashed Potato Chocolate Cake
1 hr 30 mins
This is an old recipe. It is extremely moist because of the mashed potatoes and raisins, and the texture is velvety smooth. The frosting with its touch of citrus is quite perfect with this cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium potatoes
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 59.14 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 236.59 ml butter
- 473.18 ml granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 236.59 ml raisins
- 236.59 ml finely chopped pecans
- 1Peel the potatoes, cover with water, and boil until tender.about 25 minutes.
- 2Mash thoroughly, do not add milk or seasonings.
- 3Measure out 1 cup, cover to keep warm, set aside.
- 4Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- 5Sift together the flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cocoa.
- 6In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar for 3 minutes.
- 7Add the egg yolks and beat 1 minute longer.
- 8Stir the vanilla into the buttermilk, then add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- 9With the beater running, add the 1 cup of potatoes, raisins, and nuts, combine lightly, not over beating.
- 10Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and by hand fold into the cake batter just until blended.
- 11Pour the batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until the cake springs back when touched lightly with your finger.
- 12Cool completely in pan on wire rack while you prepare the frosting.
- 13To prepare the FROSTING:.
- 14In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter, orange rind, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa.
- 15Add the confectioners' sugar alternately with the lemon juice and milk until the mixture is creamy and smooth, beating well after each addition.
- 16Remove the cooled cake from the pan and spread the frosting on the top and sides of the cake.
- 17Cover tightly until ready to serve.
- 18NOTE** If the weather is hot, refrigerate the cake so that the frosting will not become overly soft. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Velvet Mashed Potato Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.9
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 426.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 57.5 g
- Protein 5.9 g