Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe off the side of a Bisquick box over 20 years ago. It's the best cake I've ever had. They took the recipe off the box so I e-mailed them and asked them to send it to me. I don't eat a lot of sweets, but this is one I could eat everyday. I changed the coconut to Wheaties as I can't see a crumb cake with coconut. I've always made it with Wheaties. I also double the topping because it's so sweet and good, but I wrote the recipe as it's called for. Hope you enjoy this. By the way they've since put this recipe back on the box.
- 1 1⁄2 cups original Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup wheat flakes cereal, crushed (the original calls for coconut, but I like the Wheaties better)
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional(I do not use)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 8 inch square or 9 inch round pan.
- Beat all ingredients in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on medium speed 4 minutes,scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly.
- Make crumb topping: Mix all together and spread over cake.
- Set oven to broil.
- Broil about 3 inches from heat about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
I've made this recipe for over 30 yrs. In the topping just used bisquick mix, brown sugar & butter (cold) and never milk, coconut or nuts. And always added topping right from the start of baking, turns out perfectly I've added sliced Apple And did other variations, sorry cannot share. Lol.
I always use this recipe without topping for strawberry short cake & no one has ever guessed a Bisquick mix was any part of it. It's just a great simple cake.
T've used this recipe for years, too. I add chocolate chips and coconut. Just my favorite add ins to many things. Thanks for posting it.