Velvet Chicken With Fried Almonds and Broccolini
- 500 -600 g skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1 liter water
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, extra
- 100 g sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons ginger, flinely sliced
- 2 bunches Broccolini, blanched
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- To coat the chicken lightly whisk the egg white in a large bowl but do not let it go frothy. Whisk in the other coating ingredients. Add the chicken strips and mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bring the water and 1 tbsp of oil to the boil in a wok. Add the chicken and keep stirring to separate the strips until the chicken pieces turn white, which should take less than a minute. Remove chicken and put into a colander and shake off liquid.
- Heat half the extra oil in the pan and fry the flaked almonds until golden. Scoop onto paper towels.
- Wipe out the wok. Heat remaining oil, sear the ginger and then quickly toss the chicken pieces for about a minute. Add the blanched broccolini for a few seconds and then serve with almonds scattered over.