Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This poached chicken is velvety soft and tender. The cooking broth is absolutely delicious and can be saved to boil ramen or make rice. Adapted from a recipe at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/cdXZzy
- 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 cup shaoxing wine or 1 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 inches ginger, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 slices orange zest
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 dried red chili
- 1⁄2 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- chopped cilantro
- Combine everything except the chicken and cilantro in a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken, breast side down, reduce the heat, cover tightly and simmer 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the pot undisturbed 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over, breast side up, recover and let stand another 15 minutes.
- Carve the chicken as usual. Serve with a few spoonfuls of broth and garnish with cilantro. The rest of the broth can be used to make ramen or rice, or toss the chicken bones back into the broth and simmer another 2 hours to make Asian chicken stock.