Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is simple and very good! The potatoes are best when cooked and completely chilled before slicing and using in this recipe, so if possible make the potatoes a day ahead, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 226.79 g package Velveeta cheese, diced
- seasoning salt (or use white salt, seasoned salt is best!)
- black pepper
- 236.59 ml whipping cream
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the potato halves in boiling salted water until just firm tender.
- Let cool to room temperature then chill until completely cold.
- When potatoes are cold slice about 1/3-inch thick (or a little larger).
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- Layer half of the chilled sliced potatoes in the bottom of the buttered dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper on top.
- Then sprinkle with half of the onion, then half of the Velveeta cheese.
- Repeat the layers.
- Drizzle with the whiping cream, then sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for about 50 minutes.
These are great! I used a can of evaporated milk cause I didn't have cream on hand. There are only three of us so we had a lot leftover - they were even better heated up the next day for lunch. Will make these as often -next time I think I will try light velveeta to cut down on fat.
Woww! Very easy and basic. I had heavy whipping cream and forgot the parmesan, but it's still good! And they were even good the nxt day. Will use again, thanks.
I used this recipe for a basic guide but tailored it according to the ingredients I had on hand and the preparation time I had to work with. When you need a side dish right now, you don't want to see the part about boiling potatoes and chilling them the night before. I boiled my potatoes about 20 minutes, then rinsed them in cold water. I didn't have whipping cream, so I used a can of Campbell's Cream of Onion soup with enough milk to make it saucy enough to pour over the potatoes. I layered as directed, then added a layer of shredded cheese over the top. I covered it with foil and baked for about 40 minutes, then uncovered it for the last ten or fifteen minutes. It was delicious.