Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This is a home canned recipe. Velveeta and all cheeses are going through the roof in price! You can use any proceesed cheese spread. I bought 6 2lb bricks of velveeta cheese, on sale for half price and came up with this recipe. Store in a cool dark place. Refrigerate after opening. Green chilies can be mild, medium or hot.
- 4 lbs Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, mild
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In a double boiler add cheese, canned diced green chiles, and milk.
- Melt until blended. Add the vinegar, salt and dry mustard. Mix well.
- Heat clean10 half pint jars or 5-6 pint jars with seals and lids. Ladle mixture in the jars. Leave at least one inch head space in the jar. Do not fill to the top. Wipe the rims off with hot sterile cloth. Seal with lids and rings.
- Place in a boiling hot water bath for 15 minutes. Take out and place on a towelled surface without drafts. When you hear a "pop" and the seal is indented the jar has sealed.
- Note: If you want a more creamy cheese spread, add 4 more ounces evaporated milk.
- This delicious over fried potatoes and baked potatoes as well as crackers and also cooked cauliflower and broccili.