Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Cauliflower and broccoli never had it so good! --- the amounts stated makes a huge amount if desired the ingredients may be reduced by half --- for cheese sauce with a kick add in some Tabasco or cayenne pepper, of coarse this cheese sauce may be used with just about anything!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups 18% table cream
- 3 cups cubed Velveeta cheese (cubed about 1 inch)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- black pepper (or to taste) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- paprika, for topping
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan; remove from heat.
- Blend in the flour until smooth using a wire whisk.
- Return to heat; gradually whisk in the half and half cream; bring to a light boil, keep whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the cubed Velveeta, and contine to mix with a spoon until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in the sugar, salt and pepper; mix until combined.
- Pour over the veggies JUST prior to serving.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Note: this recipe may be cut in half if desired.
We really enjoyed how this made the Velveeta much more creamy. However, we found the addition of the sugar didn't compliment the caulflower and would leave it out the next time.
5 Star Rating! Used regular whole milk instead of half and half and it still turned out just as wonderful! Also omitted the sugar. My kids are standing over the stove eating it with chips now while waiting for the rest of the family to get home. Will serve over broccoli tonight! Thanks So Much!
This is exactly the cheese sauce I remember my mom making when I was growing up. Since I can't leave any recipe alone, I added some shredded sharp cheddar and then thinnned it out with chicken stock when it got a little thick. I also added chipotle hot sauce for added kick. I'm serving this over roasted broccoli and then sprinkling it with toasted bread crumbs and parsley. Can't wait! Thans for the memories.