Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Cauliflower and broccoli never had it so good! --- the amounts stated makes a huge amount if desired the ingredients may be reduced by half --- for cheese sauce with a kick add in some Tabasco or cayenne pepper, of coarse this cheese sauce may be used with just about anything!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups 18% table cream
- 3 cups cubed Velveeta cheese (cubed about 1 inch)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- black pepper (or to taste) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- paprika, for topping
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan; remove from heat.
- Blend in the flour until smooth using a wire whisk.
- Return to heat; gradually whisk in the half and half cream; bring to a light boil, keep whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the cubed Velveeta, and contine to mix with a spoon until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in the sugar, salt and pepper; mix until combined.
- Pour over the veggies JUST prior to serving.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Note: this recipe may be cut in half if desired.
We really enjoyed how this made the Velveeta much more creamy. However, we found the addition of the sugar didn't compliment the caulflower and would leave it out the next time.
5 Star Rating! Used regular whole milk instead of half and half and it still turned out just as wonderful! Also omitted the sugar. My kids are standing over the stove eating it with chips now while waiting for the rest of the family to get home. Will serve over broccoli tonight! Thanks So Much!
Fantastic cheese sauce. I used skim milk, and 2% Velveeta, omitted the sugar and added a dash of red pepper. Only made 1/2 recipe, came out perfect, not too thick, not too thin. I added steamed broccoli and topped Texas sized spuds with it for our meat free dinner last week for Lent.