Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This casserole is delicious! You can prepare the complete casserole up to a day in advance and refrigerate, when ready to bake remove from the fridge and let stand for about 45 minutes then bake. Yellow onions can be substituted for the green, you can also add in fresh minced garlic and saute with onions and ham.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 lb cooked ham, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 large green onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet cook the bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels and reserve some bacon fat in the skillet to saute the onions and ham.
- Crumble bacon when cool enough to handle; set aside.
- Brown the ham with green onions in the skillet; set aside.
- Cook the grits according to package directions; remove from heat; add in the cubed Velveeta cheese and butter; stir until melted and well combined.
- Stir in bacon, ham with green onions, eggs, milk and baking powder; season with seasoned salt or white salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until set.