Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Mum's recipe for biriyani. I usually cook this upto the stage where the chicken is partially cooked, the day before we have visitors. A few hours before serving I add the rice and water, cook it and pop it into the oven so that I can serve it freshly cooked. This recipe freezes well, reheat it in a covered non stick pan rather than the microwave for a fresh taste.
- 1 kg chicken, cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 10 cashews, halved
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 -3 bay leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 6 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yoghurt, beaten well
- Mix the chicken with salt, ginger, garlic paste, turmeric powder, chillie powder. Cover and keep in the fridge.
- Measure 3 C basmati rice. Wash and soak in 1 C lukewarm water.
- Heat the olive oil in a big pan.Add the sliced onions and fry until dark golden brown. This will take at least 10 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and cashewnuts. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the ginger and garlic paste with ground cardamom.
- Add this to the pan and fry well.
- Add the bay leaves if using.
- Add the mint and coriander leaves and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the chillie and coriander powders and fry well.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until the oil rises to the top.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry for 5 minutes, then cover and cook for 7-8 minutes. Stir well and add the salt.
- Add 3 1/2 C water (double the amount of rice minus 1C yoghurt, 1C in the rice already,1/2 C from the chicken).
- Bring to the boil. Pour the yoghurt in while mixing well.
- Add the rice and cook on low heat until the water is at the level of the rice.
- Cover tightly with foil and put into an oven at 170* for 15 minutes. Turn off and do not touch until serving- upto 5 hours later.