Indian Cook's Note:
My Mum's recipe for biriyani. I usually cook this upto the stage where the chicken is partially cooked, the day before we have visitors. A few hours before serving I add the rice and water, cook it and pop it into the oven so that I can serve it freshly cooked. This recipe freezes well, reheat it in a covered non stick pan rather than the microwave for a fresh taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg chicken, cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 10 cashews, halved
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 -3 bay leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 6 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yoghurt, beaten well
- 1Mix the chicken with salt, ginger, garlic paste, turmeric powder, chillie powder. Cover and keep in the fridge.
- 2Measure 3 C basmati rice. Wash and soak in 1 C lukewarm water.
- 3Heat the olive oil in a big pan.Add the sliced onions and fry until dark golden brown. This will take at least 10 minutes.
- 4Add cinnamon, cloves and cashewnuts. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile mix the ginger and garlic paste with ground cardamom.
- 6Add this to the pan and fry well.
- 7Add the bay leaves if using.
- 8Add the mint and coriander leaves and fry for a few minutes.
- 9Add the chillie and coriander powders and fry well.
- 10Add the tomatoes and cook until the oil rises to the top.
- 11Add the chicken pieces and fry for 5 minutes, then cover and cook for 7-8 minutes. Stir well and add the salt.
- 12Add 3 1/2 C water (double the amount of rice minus 1C yoghurt, 1C in the rice already,1/2 C from the chicken).
- 13Bring to the boil. Pour the yoghurt in while mixing well.
- 14Add the rice and cook on low heat until the water is at the level of the rice.
- 15Cover tightly with foil and put into an oven at 170* for 15 minutes. Turn off and do not touch until serving- upto 5 hours later.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vellore Style Chicken Biriyani
Serving Size: 1 (551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 905.2
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 130.3 mg
- Sodium 957.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 42.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: