Recipe by Wish I Could Cook
This is the best mac 'n' cheese on the planet. End of story. Created by Allison Rivers Samson and published on VegNews.com
Top Review by Vin Cent
Best Mac and (no)Cheese in this world! Kids couldn't believe how tasteful if was! Best compliment is when they as me to redo it another time! I will re-do it for sure and next time with some colorful veggies in the macaroni to open the appetite with the eyes.
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 4 slices bread, torn into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1⁄3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup potato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente. In a colander, drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
- In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.
- In a food processor, make breadcrumbs by pulverizing the bread and 2 tablespoons margarine to a medium-fine texture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta and blended cheese sauce until completely coated. Spread mixture into a 9 x 13 casserole dish, sprinkle with prepared breadcrumbs, and dust with paprika.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the top has turned golden brown.