Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the best mac 'n' cheese on the planet. End of story. Created by Allison Rivers Samson and published on VegNews.com
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 4 slices bread, torn into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1⁄3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup potato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente. In a colander, drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
- In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.
- In a food processor, make breadcrumbs by pulverizing the bread and 2 tablespoons margarine to a medium-fine texture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta and blended cheese sauce until completely coated. Spread mixture into a 9 x 13 casserole dish, sprinkle with prepared breadcrumbs, and dust with paprika.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the top has turned golden brown.
Best Mac and (no)Cheese in this world! Kids couldn't believe how tasteful if was! Best compliment is when they as me to redo it another time! I will re-do it for sure and next time with some colorful veggies in the macaroni to open the appetite with the eyes.
Had to try this because I've been making a recipe called "The Best Vegan Mac & Cheese in the World...Seriously!" from VegWeb....which is actually is sooo good I don't think it could get any better....BUT I liked the idea that this had cashews and veggies in it and less fat, so I made it exactly as per recipe and yes, it was pretty darn good! Different from the VegWeb mac & cheese in that it has no nutritional yeast, etc....but I would most definitely call this the "Best Nutritional Yeast Free Vegan Mac & Cheese" I might tweak the recipe just a tad next time and add a little less lemon juice, a little more mustard and maybe twice the cashews for more protein...<br/><br/>update: I had doubled the recipe and froze 1/2 the sauce for later....So when I thawed it out, I added 1/2 cup nutritional yeast and OMG! it had so much more cheesy flavor! I'm not sure why anyone would want to avoid nutritional yeast but if there's a good reason, this is pretty good without it, but AMAZING if you do use it.
i must be doing something wrong because every time i make this (three times already) it is just so bland tasting, it smells good great texture and tastes okay but it hasn't much taste to me
everyone keeps saying that this is the best mac and cheese in the world, so it has to be me. maybe the recipe got lost in converting from cups to gram I don't know . too bad