Recipe by Karina A
My kids love black beans and rice, but hate vegetables. Little do they know there are more veggies in this recipe than beans! :)
Top Review by Cookworm
We loved this. The lime and cilantro really zest this up. Using the food processor made prep for this a cinch. Served over white rice with corn pudding on the side. A very lovely meal, and using beans makes it great for the budget. Thank you.
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 carrot, sliced and chopped
- 1⁄2-1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1⁄4 red onion
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cilantro, depending on your taste. can substitute with basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, separate 1 1/2 tbsp and 1/2 tbsp
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- sea salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse the black beans in a colander.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in large, deep skillet or large pot and add black beans. Simmer on low to medium heat for 5 minutes.
- While beans are simmering, puree vegetables, olive oil, lime juice and paprika in blender or food processor, until smooth.
- Fill can of beans with water twice, and add to beans.
- Add vegetable puree and tomato paste to beans and cook on med-high heat for 15-20 minutes, until sauce is a medium thick consistency.
- Pour beans over white or brown rice, and serve.