Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 17 mins
- 2 lbs firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth or 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb broccoli, washed,trimmed,and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 large red peppers, washed,cored,seeded,and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- Place tofu in a colander and drain 10 minutes.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Place soy sauce in a shallow dish, add tofu, cover, refrigerate, and marinate 15 minutes, or up to 1 hour, turning once.
- In medium covered saucepan, bring 2 cups vegetable broth or water to a boil.
- Slowly stir in rice, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 40 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok, large skillet, or heavy saucepan over medium-high flame.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté until onions are wilted, 1-2 minutes .
- Add broccoli and red peppers, the remaining 1 1/4 cup broth or water, and cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, water chestnuts, basil, oregano, and black pepper and continue to cook 2 more minutes, or until mushrooms are soft.
- Addsesame seeds and the marinated tofu with soy sauce, and cook, stirring gently, until tofu is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over the cooked rice.
Very, very good recipe! This was the first time I cooked with tofu, and am glad it was this dish that I tried it with. Will go on to use tofu again and it was thanks to this dish. Thnx for posting mielhollinger!
Very good. I used regular soy sauce, frozen broccoli thawed, and a couple zucchini. I also added sesame oil instead of seeds. We really liked it, very filling and healthy. I often add a few raisins for a bit of a sweet taste.
The red peppers and broccoli ended up soft and soggy because the recipe stated they cook for 5 minutes, then 2 minutes, then another 5 minutes - total 12 minutes. I usually stir fry for a short time eg 3-5mins total, and opt for crunchy vegetables.