Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great veggie sidedish or main course for a light supper.From the Recipes for Life Cookbook.
Make and share this Veggie Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Filling: Place all filling ingredients into a medium saucepan.
- Cook over med.
- Heat 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside.
- Crust: Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a small bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix until batter is blended.
- Spoon filling into a 9 in.
- round cake dish.
- Spoon batter over filling.
- Sprinkle top with a bit of paprika.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
I just loved this recipe ! A warm comfort food dish . This was a great meatless meal ! I served it with some grated cheddar and a spoonful of light sour cream over the top . Fantastic !!
This was SO good! I shared it with the little girl that lives in my building and we both enjoyed it a lot. I used kidney beans instead of pinto (out of comfort - we're used to them). And I also used whole wheat flour instead of white. All in all, a great recipe that I will use again and again. Thanks for sharing!!
This was great for a meatless dinner. Just increased the chili powder to 1teaspoon, subbed fresh garlic and added a frozen chipotle pepper for extra kick, but I think it would be good as written. Definitely will make this again.