Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very healthy, low-fat recipe with a lot of vegetable taste. You can put pasta sauce on top or put mushrooms in burger buns.
- 6 portabella mushroom caps
- 16 ounces mushrooms (your choice)
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 small white onion
- 2 eggs (or 1 egg and 1 egg white)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian cheese blend
- 1 pita bread
- 1 -2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Scoop out insides of portabella mushrooms and place insides into food processor.
- Rub 1 tsp of olive oil on top of portabella mushroom caps and sprinkle with salt, place caps upside down into baking dish.
- Add 16 oz of mushrooms to food processor and blend with portabella mushroom insides until paste forms, set aside.
- Chop red pepper and onion into small cubes and sauté on medium heat *use 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Add mushroom paste to pepper and onion. sauté for about 15 minutes *stir occasionally.
- Toast pita bread until crispy, crumble into medium bowl.
- Add 1 cup cheese and eggs to bowl, mix well.
- Add mixture to mushroom, pepper, and onion. Stir until evenly blended.
- Spoon mixture into portabella mushroom caps, cover all caps with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Made this tonight in a kitchenette in a hotel--so without proper equipment and not all the right ingredients. My coworker and I really enjoyed the dish. The mushroom caps had a great flavor and the filling (zucchini instead of red pepper, italian bread toasted instead of pita & shaved parmesan the only cheese). The filling had a chunkier consistency than it would have had with a food processor, the right knife, etc. I look forward to making this again (and again and again) in my own kitchen!