Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Kids will eat these veggies! From Everyday Italian
- 1 1⁄2 cups pancake mix (recommended -- Krusteaz)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- In a medium bowl combine the pancake mix and water. Whisk the batter until smooth. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Make 12 pancakes about 5 1/2-inches in diameter. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic and saute until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large bowl. Add the basil, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and mascarpone cheese. Stir the mixture until well mixed.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 by 12-inch baking dish (or individual baking dishes). Using about half the vegetable mixture fill the pancakes. Lay pancake down on a work surface, top with 2 spoonfuls of vegetable mixture, sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese. Roll up the pancake around the vegetable mixture and place in the baking dish. Continue with the remaining pancakes, placing in the baking dish in 2 rows, and using up all the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place the remaining vegetable mixture in a blender with 1/2 cup whole milk. Blend until smooth adding up to 1/4 cup more milk if necessary to make a sauce. Pour the sauce over the center of the vegetable-stuffed pancakes in two rows. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until the cheese is melted and the vegetables are hot, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.