Recipe by Stephneepa
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This recipe was inspired by stuffed vegetables. A few summers ago, I adapted my stuffed peppers recipe to be a stuffed squash recipe. And then I adapted it to be a squash casserole. And then I adapted it some more. And… voila! I like this recipe because it is difficult to mess it up. Also, because the ingredients are things that I usually have in my house, it is one of my go-to meals at the end of a long day. I hope that others will find it to be as simple, warm, and comforting as I do.
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1-in . cubes
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Combine tomato sauce, bread crumbs, cilantro, eggs, and half of the parmesan cheese in a bowl, and set aside.
- Add cubed butternut squash and carrots to the pot, and boil for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pour olive oil into a Dutch oven or large, oven-safe pot, and place it on the stove over medium-low heat. Add green onions.
- After the 10 minutes, add Simply Potatoes to the boiling squash and carrots, and boil the vegetables for another 2 minutes. Then strain them, and return them to their pot. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat. Let everything cool for a minute.
- Add tomato sauce mixture to the Dutch oven. Then add the vegetables, salt, and pepper, and combine. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Cook the casserole in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the top layer is lightly browned.