Recipe by Jyber
My take off on a great side dish served at the Inn at Banner Elk some years ago. I've made it many times since, each time different, so go with what's at hand. The concept counts just as much as your creativity. Heaven forbid, don't cook the veggies to smush.It's also a good sauce for that ricotta ginocchi # 170293
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium summer squash
- 1 large onion
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 10 -12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemons or 1 lime
Directions See How It's Made
- Prep: 3/8 Inch is the preferred julienne.
- Cut the onion in half from top to root and peel off the outer layer. Slice thinly, about 1/4 inch or less.
- Remove the stem end and seeds from the pepper and slice thinly into about 1/4 inch or less strips lengthwise.
- Peel and smash and rough chop the garlic cloves.
- Hold these prepped items together in a plate or bowl.
- The next steps are a lot of knife work. If you have a mandoline to julienne the veggies into strings it helps. A food processor with a julienne disk could also work.
- Peel the carrots and cut into 3-4 inch long sections. Cut into a fine julienne ( about 1/4 inch or less). Hold in another bowl or dish.
- Cut the Squashes into a similar length and size of julienne, leaving out the seedy core parts. Hold these together.
- Strip the herb leaves from the stems and chop roughly. Hold in a tiny bowl.
- Heat half the olive oil and butter in a large frying or saute pan.
- Sautee the onion, pepper, and garlic until the onion is just translucent. Add a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper while sauteeing, est. 3-5 minutes. Remove to the plate you held the prep on.
- Add the rest of the butter and olive oil to the pan.
- Saute the carrots until somewhat soft, est. 3 minutes.
- Add the squash and contintue to saute until they are just crisp/tender, another 3-4 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Add the onions, peppers, and garlic to the saute pan. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon or lime over the veggies, and add the rough chopped herbs. Saute for 1 min or less.
- Serve as a side or toss with cooked pasta.