Recipe by I Appreci8 good food!
Simple and very tasty!!!!! Enjoy! FYI - you might want to use just broth instead of combo water broth. that will depend on your taste buds and how salty you like things.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Tasty and filling. I made this as written but I increased the spices. I partially pureed the soup to thicken a bit, but yet still have some texture. This proves that you don't need bacon or ham to have a wonderful split pea soup. ;) Thanx for sharing!
- 1 1⁄2 cups split peas, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups broth, of choice (i used veggie powdered organic, no MSG and not too much sodium)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery, with leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (sub. butter or veg.oil)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 dash parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot add at low-med heat cook onions and garlic until transparent.
- Add a little water as the time passes so the onions wont brown or crisp.
- Add water/broth combo, spices and then add celery, carrots and peas.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for 1 to 11/2 hours - until peas are soft and mushy.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree in a blender for a smooth soup or leave as is.