Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love this soup, but my husband cannot live without meat, and our boys love pasta, so I keep frozen cooked ground beef and pasta in the freezer and stir it into their bowls. Received this recipe from one of our old neighbors in Stetson, Me.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed Italian tomatoes
- 2 green peppers, chunked
- 1 cup celery, chunked
- 1 lb carrot, pared, chunked
- 1 bunch scallion
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package vegetable soup mix (I like Knorrs but use Lipton if you prefer)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans string beans, undrained
- parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- crouton (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large dutch oven, cook until tender.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and croutons if desired.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth and make sure your package of vegetable soup is vegetarian.
I know I have not made this but, I have a question. Can you put cheese on/in the soup?