Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Polenta is a great substitute for potatoes and adds a little texture
Make and share this Veggie Shepherd Pie With Polenta recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil
- 100 g spinach, chopped
- 400 g borlotti beans
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup polenta
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 375.
- 2. Heat olive in saucepan over medium-high. Cook carrots, onion, and red pepper for roughly 5 minutes. Add oregano, garlic and chilli flakes, stir about 2 minutes.
- 3. Add tomatos and broth, bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes (until vegetables are cooked through). Add basil, spinach and beans, cook 2 more minutes until spinach wilts.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Slowly add polenta, stirring constantly. Reduce head to medium-low until thickened. Add lemon zest.
- 5. Spoon vegetable mixture into ovenproof dishes, top with polenta and sprinkle with parmesan. Grill roughly 5 minutes, until cheese is browned.