Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Meat-free toad in the hole
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cooked vegetarian sausages, thickly sliced
- 1 small red pepper, halved, deseeded and chopped
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and crack in the eggs.
- Gradually mix the eggs with the flour, then slowly add the milk until you have a smooth, thin batter.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Drizzle the olive oil into 8 wells of a muffin tin.
- Heat in the oven for 5 mins or until the oil is smoking hot.
- Season the batter to taste, then carefully pour onto the hot oil.
- Sprinkle the sausage and pepper pieces over and return to the oven for 25-30 mins until risen and golden.
- Can be frozen at this stage for up to 1 month.
- To cook from frozen, cover tightly with foil and re-heat at 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 for 20-25 mins until piping hot.
I decided to go vegetarian for the New Year, and this was a great first recipe! Very rich and flavorful and quite easy to make. I only deviated by using green pepper instead of red. Thank you for posting!