This is based off of one of my favorite sandwiches that is sold in a nearby grab 'n go place. It makes for a nice hearty sandwich, packed with flavor! Use your favorite tzatziki sauce, or I'm including the recipe for the one I usually make (**Note - the sauce does need to marinate overnight for best flavor**). It's usually more sauce than I need for the sandwich, so I enjoy using the rest as a dip for other veggies (carrots, celery, etc) or Greek potatoes on the side. Feel free to adjust veggie quantities based on what size the vegetables you have on hand are! This recipe was featured in the ZWT6 Best of Tour cookbook - Book #277222!
- 1 foccacia bun
- tzatziki, sauce (your favorite, or see below)
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 red pepper, sliced
- 1 slice large tomato
- 2 rings large red onions
- 1⁄4 cucumber, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mixed greens
Tzatziki Sauce (make night before for best flavor)
- 1 (6 ounce) container fat free Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cucumber, seeds removed, grated and squeezed so as much liquid as possible is removed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Split open foccacia bun. Spread tzatziki sauce on top half of bun and cover with provolone slice. Place cheddar slice on bottom half of bun.
- Layer the remaining ingredients over the bottom half of the bun.
- Cover with top half of bun, slice in half, and enjoy!
- For tzatziki sauce: Combine all ingredients and mix well. Allow flavors to blend in fridge overnight. If using the recipe included, it will make more than needed for one sandwich -- it is great as a sauce with extra veggies or Greek potatoes on the side, or make more than one sandwich :) It will save overnight too.