Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Pancakes don't always have to be sweet!
Make and share this Veggie Rye Pancakes With Sweet Potato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup rye flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, diced fine
- 2 tablespoons zucchini, grated
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced (I used vidalia)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 roasted garlic cloves, minced
- Place all sauce ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium/high heat until sweet potatoes have fallen apart and resemble baby food.
- Stir until smooth and set aside;If you would like, you can use a wand blender for this step.
- Place butter, onion and balsamic vinegar in a large skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until onions start to turn a very dark brown, about 6-10 minutes because you want them caramelized.
- Once onions have caramelized, remove them from the heat and dice.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients and veggies together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Using a measuring cup, pour batter by the 1/2 cup full onto a hot griddle.
- Cook until the bottom is brown, then flip it over.
- Cook, again, until the bottom is brown, about 2 or 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve with sweet potato sauce.