Recipe by love4culinary
These pastries take a bit of time to prepare, but are WORTH THE EFFORT! They are great for presentation too... I got a bunch of OOOOO's and AHHHHHH's LOL ;-) Prep time varies. You can use a variety of vegetables... the ones I've listed are just suggested veggies... use a colorful mixture of veggies that you like!!!
- 1 lb puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 lb sweet potato, cubed (you can also use regular potatoes)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces baby asparagus spears
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons vegetarian margarine
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 cup cut mini baby carrots, steamed until soft
- 2 small mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 pinch dried mustard, more to taste
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take the two long pieces of puff pastry out of the package and Divide totally into 4 equal pieces (ie: cut both pieces in half to make 4 squares total).
- Roll each piece out on a lightly floured counter to form a 5inch square.
- Place squares on lightly dampened cookie sheets and score a smaller 2 1/2 inch square inside each 5 inch square with the point of a sharp knife.
- Make sure not to cut completely through; just score the smaller square.
- Brush each with beaten egg to glaze and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry has fully risen and is golden brown.
- Remove pastry squares from the oven and then carefully cut through the scored square just enough to remove that square so you can stuff the pastries and then place the small square back on top.
- To make the filling you will need to cook the potato in a saucepan of boiling water until done to your liking (make sure your cubes dont get mushy!! hehe).
- For sweet potato it will take approximately 15 minutes in boiling water; Drain.
- Blanch your asparagus in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until tender; drain asparagus and reserve; do not attempt to use canned asparagus.
- Melt your butter in a saucepan and saute the leek and mushrooms for 2-3minutes.
- Add the lime juice, mustard, and thyme, salt and pepper and stir in the sweet potatoes and asparagus, and other veggies.
- Spoon mixture into the pastry cases and top with the small pastry square that you cut out.
- Serve at once.