Recipe by echo echo
A warm and filling sandwich. You can either peel or scrub the eggplant, zucchini and squash (I prefer to use unpeeled veggies}. Adjust seasonings to your taste. Cooking times may vary a little bit depending on your oven. Preparation time includes 1/2 hour marinating time.
Top Review by twissis
I loved these pitas! I knew the real test would be the verdict of my meat & potatoes DH, but he loved them too. :-) I cannot get yellow squash here, so left that out & used a mix of mozzarella & cheddar for the cheese. Otherwise I made no chgs except to fully mix the cheese w/the veggies so all the veggies would show in the pic. Would not chg a thing here, except will prob add mushrooms next time to replace the squash. Pls see my rating system - a very worthy 4*. Thx for posting this recipe.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 4.92 ml Italian herb seasoning
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large yellow squash, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large red sweet bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 118.29 ml sliced black olives
- 6 large pita pockets
- 354.88 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; use to marinate eggplant through olives 1/2 hour.
- Spread vegetables in one layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast at 400F 15 minutes.
- Drain and toss vegetables together in a collander and stuff into the pita pockets; lay each pocket on its side and stuff in 1/4 cup of cheese with the veggies.
- Wrap each pocket in foil, place on the baking sheets and return to oven for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
- Serve warm.