Prep 55 mins
Cook 20 mins
A warm and filling sandwich. You can either peel or scrub the eggplant, zucchini and squash (I prefer to use unpeeled veggies}. Adjust seasonings to your taste. Cooking times may vary a little bit depending on your oven. Preparation time includes 1/2 hour marinating time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large yellow squash, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 large red sweet bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 6 large pita pockets
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; use to marinate eggplant through olives 1/2 hour.
- Spread vegetables in one layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast at 400F 15 minutes.
- Drain and toss vegetables together in a collander and stuff into the pita pockets; lay each pocket on its side and stuff in 1/4 cup of cheese with the veggies.
- Wrap each pocket in foil, place on the baking sheets and return to oven for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
- Serve warm.
I loved these pitas! I knew the real test would be the verdict of my meat & potatoes DH, but he loved them too. :-) I cannot get yellow squash here, so left that out & used a mix of mozzarella & cheddar for the cheese. Otherwise I made no chgs except to fully mix the cheese w/the veggies so all the veggies would show in the pic. Would not chg a thing here, except will prob add mushrooms next time to replace the squash. Pls see my rating system - a very worthy 4*. Thx for posting this recipe.
Absolutely loved this recipe! All of my veggies were absolutely huge, so I doubled the dressing mixture and cooked on two sheet pans. Omitted the olives and served with just a little cheese rolled in a flat wrap for a great summer dinner. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
The marinading of the veggies really adds to the eggplant in particular. It even fooled my husband into thinking there was meat in the sandwich! Thanks Echo Echo, for postingg. Roxygirl