1/1 Photo of Veggie Pita Sandwich
This sandwich was my favorite on the menu at a deli on Williamson Road in Roanoke, VA in the early 90's. I cannot remember the name of the place or what they called this sandwich. I don't know if it is still there or not, as I only lived there 2 years, but I still make it today. It was served with potato chips and a pickle. Sweet potato chips or potato salad are good, too. Do not let the list of ingredients scare you off. I have substituted others or omitted some when needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 piece pita bread, uncut (whole wheat, white, or onion)
- 1/2-3/4 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2-3/4 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 leaves fresh spinach
- 3 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup carrot, shredded
- 6 slices red bell peppers
- 6 slices cucumbers, sliced thinly
- 6 small black olives, sliced
- 6 pieces red onions, sliced
- 1/8-1/4 fluid ounce olive oil
- 1/8-1/4 fluid ounce red wine vinegar
- 1Melt the shredded cheeses on (not inside) the pita bread in microwave. Do NOT use an oven or broiler, as you want the bread to remain soft.
- 2Add spinach and lettuce leaves (uncut).
- 3Add remained sliced veggies, oil and vinegar.
- 4Fold in half and serve.
- 5NOTE: Do not add salt, as the cheese adds a sense of saltiness.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Pita Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (669 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.9
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.1 mg
- Sodium 763.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 19.9 g