Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This makes a nice luch or dinner, these are the veggies I like, use your favorite. Points 4.
- 4 whole wheat pita bread
- 1 cup prepared pasta sauce (with vegetables)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1 small summer squash, finely diced
- sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On oven rack or in toaster oven, toast pita bread for 1 minute.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Spread 1/4 cup pasta sauce on each pita round.
- In medium bowl, combine red pepper, zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms.
- Spoon evenly onto pita rounds.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon oregano and basil on each round.
- Divide mozzarella among pitas.
- Top each with 2 teaspoons of Parmesan cheese.
- If desired, sprinkle with a bit of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Broil, watching carefully, until cheese is melted and bubbly, and pita is hot.
- Serve immediately.
An easy & quick snack or light meal. I used whole-wheat pitas, and added some turkey pepperoni to DH's portion. I brush a little olive oil on the pitas, as I think it makes them a bit crisper. Thanks for the recipe!!