Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the basic recipe for a healthy, low-fat dish that can be varied in many ways. Sometimes, I add sliced onion, zucchini, and/or broccoli. If you increase the amount of veggies though, use a large (28 oz.) can of tomatoes instead of the small one. This is a very satisfying dish that tastes great hot or cold
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower and saute 5 minutes, or until very lightly browned.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, green beans, 1 cup water, and seasonings.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add skillet mixture; toss to mix and coat.
- Pour into serving bowl and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
I used half a head of cauliflower and added the zucchini as Manda had suggested, lovely vegetable dish with great colours. Loved the chickpea addition.