Recipe by *Asha*
I am not a vegan, but I love the different variety of meatless soy burgers. This is a patty melt made with whatever flavor burger you want. Add mustard, ketchup, and a pickle for extra flavor.
Top Review by carole in orlando
This is an excellent recipe! It's 8 Weight Watchers Points Plus and delish!! I used Arnolds sandwich thins (seedless rye) and added a little Dijonase for more flavor. The onions cooked perfectly and it was a hit with my husband who loves patty melts. Thanks, Carole in Orlando
- 1 large onion, cut in half vertically and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen veggie burgers (or meatless soy protein burger)
- 8 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 4 slices process American cheese or 4 slices cheddar cheese
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, place over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, saute 12 minutes or until very tender, adding water, 1 tablespoon at the time, to prevent scorching. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Remove onion from pan, keep warm.
- Cook meatless burgers in pan according to package directions.
- Divide cooked onion evenly over 4 slices of bread and top each with 1 burger patty and 1 cheese slice. Cover with remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Place pan over medium heat until hot. Coat one side of each bread slices with cooking spray and place 2 sandwiches, coated side down, in pan, and cook about 3 minutes or until brown.
- Coat top sides of sandwiches with cooking spray, turn sandwiches over, and cook for about 3 minutes or until brown.
- Repeat procedure with remaining sandwiches.
- If you own a indoor grill (such as George Forman) you can also make them, once assembled, on the grill and you dont' have to turn them over. Enjoy.