Recipe by Tish
As with all of us, I'm trying to get more veggies in my child. Here is one way to slip some in without them noticing?
Top Review by JillAZ
Excellent recipe Tish! My kids all loved this. Even the 2 that don't usually eat sauce on their pasta ate this up! I did mash the veggies quite well and they blended in really well with the cheeses. My DS loved this so much he took them in his thermos for lunch today. I made this on a cooking day and filled the shells by putting the mixture into a large zipper bag and snipping off the corner. Then I could "pipe" it into the shells and it was a lot less messy. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 10 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 28 ounces spaghetti sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse, drain, and let cool.
- In a large saucepan, heat broth to boiling. Stir in carrots, potatoes and onions and cook 3-4 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Drain vegetables well. (You can mash these up a bit if that's what it takes to hide the veggies!) Combine with ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Stir in Italian seasoning. Fill each cooked and cooled shell with this cheese mixture.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer on the sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- To freeze, refrigerate at this point until cold. Then wrap, label, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw whole casserole overnight in refrigerator. Bake as directed below, adding 15-20 minutes to baking time. To thaw and reheat individual shells, microwave on 40% power for 2-4 minutes until thawed. Then microwave on 60% power for 1-3 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.