As with all of us, I'm trying to get more veggies in my child. Here is one way to slip some in without them noticing?
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse, drain, and let cool.
- In a large saucepan, heat broth to boiling. Stir in carrots, potatoes and onions and cook 3-4 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Drain vegetables well. (You can mash these up a bit if that's what it takes to hide the veggies!) Combine with ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Stir in Italian seasoning. Fill each cooked and cooled shell with this cheese mixture.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer on the sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- To freeze, refrigerate at this point until cold. Then wrap, label, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw whole casserole overnight in refrigerator. Bake as directed below, adding 15-20 minutes to baking time. To thaw and reheat individual shells, microwave on 40% power for 2-4 minutes until thawed. Then microwave on 60% power for 1-3 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Excellent recipe Tish! My kids all loved this. Even the 2 that don't usually eat sauce on their pasta ate this up! I did mash the veggies quite well and they blended in really well with the cheeses. My DS loved this so much he took them in his thermos for lunch today. I made this on a cooking day and filled the shells by putting the mixture into a large zipper bag and snipping off the corner. Then I could "pipe" it into the shells and it was a lot less messy. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!
Amazing recipe. I doubled it and was able to get 3 different meals out of it for my family. With leftovers for lunch. I plan to try and sneak other veggies into the stuffing later on.
Very tasty! We took the hint from JillAZ and filled up a baggie with the filling, snipped the end and filled the shells. That worked very nicely! I used chicken broth instead of veggie broth (didn't have any) but ptherwise followed the recipe as written. I didn't have to "hide" the veggies so next time, I'll add MORE veggies and maybe some spinach. Thanks for posting; this goes in the rotation!