Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
These nachos are full of protein and fiber and look beautiful to boot. Take it easy on the cheese and make it low-fat. This recipe heats the chips so make use of the chips remaining in the bottom of various bags. My sister and I made this live on my podcast. It's vegetarian and easy and I was surprised there wasn't one like this on 'zaar. This version is fairly quick for two and can be made as spicy as you like by adding jalapenos or hot salsa. Enjoy!
- 113.39-141.74 g tortilla chips, pieces okay
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped, save some for garnish
- 340.19 g beer or 340.19 g water
- 236.59 ml black beans or 236.59 ml pinto beans
- 236.59 ml veggie crumbles, Quorn frozen is our fave
- 1.23 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml garlic
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml chili powder, regular
- 59.14 ml fresh corn (optional) or 59.14 ml thawed frozen corn (optional)
- 118.29 ml tomatoes, diced
- 236.59 ml romaine lettuce, chopped
- Arrange the chips to cover an aluminum foil lined toaster oven pan. Set aside.
- In a fry pan or electric skillet over medium heat, cook the onions in a small amount of the beer on medium for about a minute, stirring constantly and adding more liquid to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Add the pinto beans and lightly mash the beans with the onions with a fork until it looks like a cross between refried beans and whole beans.
- Add more beer or water and stir as the mixture thickens.
- Add the meatless crumbles.
- Stir to mix and add enough liquid to keep it from sticking at all.
- Sprinkle the spices on to the most liquid areas and stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Bake the chips in the toaster oven for about 4 minutes on 350 degrees or until they are hot to the touch. No need to preheat if you use the toaster oven and watch carefully to avoid browning. Note that chips will get crispier as they cool.
- Stir corn into the bean mixture and heat through.
- Stir in salsa now if you prefer.
- Spoon the mixture over the waiting hot chips.
- Top with the tomatoes and sliced romaine lettuce.
- Additional toppings can include any or all of these: salsa, grated cheese, diced green pepper, avocado, tofutti sour cream and/or jalapeno peppers.
- Grab a fork and a plate if the tortilla pieces were too small to use as a scoop. Enjoy!