1/1 Photo of Veggie Nachos
These nachos are full of protein and fiber and look beautiful to boot. Take it easy on the cheese and make it low-fat. This recipe heats the chips so make use of the chips remaining in the bottom of various bags. My sister and I made this live on my podcast. It's vegetarian and easy and I was surprised there wasn't one like this on 'zaar. This version is fairly quick for two and can be made as spicy as you like by adding jalapenos or hot salsa. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 ounces tortilla chips, pieces okay
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped, save some for garnish
- 12 ounces beer or 12 ounces water
- 1 cup black beans or 1 cup pinto beans
- 1 cup veggie crumbles, Quorn frozen is our fave
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, regular
- 1/4 cup fresh corn (optional) or 1/4 cup thawed frozen corn (optional)
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1Arrange the chips to cover an aluminum foil lined toaster oven pan. Set aside.
- 2In a fry pan or electric skillet over medium heat, cook the onions in a small amount of the beer on medium for about a minute, stirring constantly and adding more liquid to avoid sticking to the pan.
- 3Add the pinto beans and lightly mash the beans with the onions with a fork until it looks like a cross between refried beans and whole beans.
- 4Add more beer or water and stir as the mixture thickens.
- 5Add the meatless crumbles.
- 6Stir to mix and add enough liquid to keep it from sticking at all.
- 7Sprinkle the spices on to the most liquid areas and stir.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Bake the chips in the toaster oven for about 4 minutes on 350 degrees or until they are hot to the touch. No need to preheat if you use the toaster oven and watch carefully to avoid browning. Note that chips will get crispier as they cool.
- 10Stir corn into the bean mixture and heat through.
- 11Stir in salsa now if you prefer.
- 12Spoon the mixture over the waiting hot chips.
- 13Top with the tomatoes and sliced romaine lettuce.
- 14Additional toppings can include any or all of these: salsa, grated cheese, diced green pepper, avocado, tofutti sour cream and/or jalapeno peppers.
- 15Grab a fork and a plate if the tortilla pieces were too small to use as a scoop. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Nachos
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 760.3
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1044.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.2 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 39.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: