Recipe by OceanLuvinGranny
I found this on the back of a box of Morning Star Farms "bacon" strips. I added one (7 oz) can chopped green chilies and I used sharp cheddar cheese instead of the regular. I also have used a can of green beans in place of the broccoli, but cut them up. We loved it. I always make this when my mom, who is a vegetarian comes to visit. Although it is a vegetarian bacon substitute, once it's mixed in and baked, it still has that satisfying bacon flavor and it's hard to tell that it really isn't bacon. YUM.
Top Review by bake
Definitely worth every star! I thought the seasonings were perfect (added 1/2 t. salt). Great flavor! Didn't have broccoli, so I used frozen cauliflower instead plus the other veggies as called for, and it worked great. Also used 1/2 c. sharp cheddar because that's all I had, and about 1/2 c. mozarella plus the 1/2 c. parmesan the recipe calls for. This was delish! My hub couldn't stop raving about it. I didn't use bacon, but that would be delicious. Instead of sour cream, I served home-made guacamole with it. YUM! Thanks for sharing, Granny! This will be my base frittata recipe for sure.
- 1 (5 1/4 ounce) packagefrozen vegetarian bacon, strips (I use Morning Star Farms brand and only 1/2 the pkg.)
- 1 cup broccoli, in tiny bite size floretts
- 3⁄4 cup sliced white button mushrooms
- 5 green onions, finely chopped using tops and a little bit of the green bottoms
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten (or you can use 1 cup refrigerated egg substitute)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or more to your taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (or more to your taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder (or more to your taste)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato (I used 3/4 cup)
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies (I used mild but you can spice it up as you like)
- sour cream, for topping after served
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Prepare MSF bacon strips as per pkg. directions and then crumble or cut into pieces.
- In large skillet, saute broccoli, mushrooms, green onions and bell pepper in butter until tender. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, water, oregano, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder until foamy.
- Stir in MSF prepared bacon strips, cheese, tomatoes, broccoli mixture and green chilies.
- Pour into a greased shallow baking dish (1 1/2 qt).
- Bake at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes or untl knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Watch closely and if it starts to get too brown cover loosely with foil.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting and plating.
- Serve topped with sour cream.