Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
This vegetarian red sauce is from "Pasta and Co" cookbook, which has recipes from their popular Seattle take-out food shop. It is well-worth the extra steps involved. I love the small, crunchy vegetables in the sauce. I serve it over rotini (or any chunky pasta) or use it in my Giardiniera Lasagna Chunky Vegetable Lasagna.
Top Review by kitten in the kitchen
This had a wonderful flavor. Bf didn't really like the crunchy veggies so I think next time I will sub eggplant and more zucchini for the celery and carrots. Definately making again!
- 1 1⁄4 cups cauliflower, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 1⁄4 cups zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup carrot, into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine (I like white Zin or other sweet wine)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste, add this if you are making the lasagna
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine olive oil, basil, oregano, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, garlic and onions in 4 quart pan and cook until onion is translucent.
- The onion and garlic should not brown.
- Add wine and simmer 10-12 minute until alcohol evaporates.
- Add reserved vegetables, tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar.
- simmer, partially covered for 5 minutes.
- The vegetables should be crunchy.