Recipe by ellie_
I came across this recipe when looking for healthy vegetarian pasta recipes that my family would enjoy. Although I haven't made this yet I am planning on making it soon. Recipe source: New Mexico Magazine (January 2004)
Top Review by Jociecee
This was a delicious recipe that the whole family enjoyed! I loved the combination of vegetables and it was so flavorful that nobody missed the meat. I made this for Best of 2010 Tag-thanks for a new favorite!
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 6 manicotti, cooked and drained according to package directions divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large baking dish (9 x 12) with cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray.
- Over med heat cook first 5 ingredients (eggplant- thyme) in skillet for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring sauce to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine spinach, ricotta, 1/2 cup of the Mozzarella cheese, egg substitute, Parmesan cheese and parsley, mix well.
- With small spoon stuff Manicotti shells with cheese/spinach mixture and place in prepared baking dish.
- Spoon sauce over manicotti and sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella (1/2 cup).
- Cover and bake for 30- 45 minutes or until heated.