1/4 Photos of Veggie Loaf
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is from a book called The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson (of Supersize Me fame). All of her recipes are super healthy and this is the tastiest vegan loaf I've tried. Like other vegan loaves, this is more fragile than meatloaf. Be sure to let it cool about 15 minutes before slicing, and even then expect some crumbling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml cooked brown rice
- 236.59 ml cooked lentils
- 236.59 ml uncooked instant oats
- 236.59 ml finely chopped mushroom
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml finely chopped walnuts
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 59.14 ml olive, any variety, pitted and chopped fine
- 44.37 ml finely chopped fresh parsley
- 29.58 ml Braggs liquid aminos or 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml mustard
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml dried marjoram
- 4.92 ml dried sage
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice (or other leftover whole grain), lentils, oats, mushrooms, onion, carrot, pepper, walnuts, tomato paste, olives, parsley, soy sauce, mustard, thyme, marjoram, and sage. Mix well.
- 3Lightly oil an 8" x 4" loaf pan.
- 4Fill the loaf pan with the mixture and pack well to press out any air pockets.
- 5Bake for 40 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes, until lightly browned. (Be sure to check it after 10 minutes uncovered as I found it was already done). Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before slicing. Use a serrated knife to carefully slice.
- 6Update 3/7/09: I have discovered that this holds together better if you mash half the lentils. It also helps to add some flax meal and extra liquid (I used V8).
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.7
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 121.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Braggs liquid aminos