1/4 Photos of Veggie Loaf
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is from a book called The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson (of Supersize Me fame). All of her recipes are super healthy and this is the tastiest vegan loaf I've tried. Like other vegan loaves, this is more fragile than meatloaf. Be sure to let it cool about 15 minutes before slicing, and even then expect some crumbling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup uncooked instant oats
- 1 cup finely chopped mushroom
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup olive, any variety, pitted and chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice (or other leftover whole grain), lentils, oats, mushrooms, onion, carrot, pepper, walnuts, tomato paste, olives, parsley, soy sauce, mustard, thyme, marjoram, and sage. Mix well.
- 3Lightly oil an 8" x 4" loaf pan.
- 4Fill the loaf pan with the mixture and pack well to press out any air pockets.
- 5Bake for 40 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes, until lightly browned. (Be sure to check it after 10 minutes uncovered as I found it was already done). Allow to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before slicing. Use a serrated knife to carefully slice.
- 6Update 3/7/09: I have discovered that this holds together better if you mash half the lentils. It also helps to add some flax meal and extra liquid (I used V8).
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veggie Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.7
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 121.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Braggs liquid aminos